What is a Singapore Work Permit?
A Singapore work permit is an employment visa for foreigner workers. All foreign workers must apply for and obtain a work permit to work in Singapore. Singapore companies are not allowed to hire or employ any overseas workers without helping them to apply for a Singapore work permit or an employment work visa. The application is done through the Ministry of Manpower (MOM). The MOM is the government agency that manages all business and economic related activities in Singapore.
After reading this how-to article, you will be updated with the latest information about the process for a Singapore work permit. Check out our other pages for information regarding other work visas, such as the process to apply for a personalised employment pass Singapore visa.
Quick Overview to Obtain a Singapore Work Permit
For those without the time to read through this entire article, below are 3 key steps to obtain a Singapore work permit:
Step 1: Apply online through the Singapore Work Program website for all work visa categories and categories that are equivalent to jobs in Singapore. You must complete the online application form and submit it there.
The Singapore authorities will then issue you with an electronic travel document (ETD) which can be used at any airport of your choice. You may also use it on arrival at the airport.
Step 2: Your application will be reviewed by the Ministry of Manpower and the Immigration Department. The Ministry will then send you a letter of decision. Note that your application can and will be rejected if you do not work in an industry that required specialised skills. Industries that require technical skills includes medicine, software engineering, mechanical engineering and more.
Step 3: If your application is approved, you will be issued an e-visa and a work permit. You must also provide proof that you have been working in Singapore for more than six months before applying for this visa.
Documents Needed & How to Apply for a Singapore Work Permit Online
Have you finished reading the short 3-step guide? Are you ready to find out more about the Singapore work permit application? The entire process takes approximately 3 months from the application date.
Once your Singapore work permit application is being processed, you will be required to provide a valid passport and an identity document. This includes a birth certificate, or passport, to be issued by the Ministry of Home Affairs Process. The process may take up to 10 working days. The Singapore work permit application can only be done online. You will only need an email address and password to register an account. Once logged in, click on “Apply Now” button and link to proceed.
- To begin with, provide the MOM with the necessary softcopy identification details. Scan and upload any other necessary forms as well.
- Complete the online registration form. This will help MOM to process the Singapore S pass form in accordance with government procedures.
- You must have a valid passport and visa to work in process to apply for a Singapore work permit.
- If you would like to become a permanent resident of Singapore, skip the Singapore work pass permit application. As a Singapore permanent resident, you don’t need to apply for a visa to work, study or live in Singapore. Be sure to check your eligibility for a permanent resident (if you wish to be one) before applying for a Singapore work permit.
- If you are not eligible under any other visa category and wish to enter Singapore, your application will be processed with the sole identification of your passport. If your passport is not valid, you will not be able to travel to Singapore without a visa.
- Once you have completed the application and taken note of the information above, submit it with all the required documents as stated on the Ministry of Manpower’s online portal.
- If approved, the Singapore work permit will be issued to you by the Singapore Ministry of Manpower (MOM). You will need to provide the following documents:
- A copy of your passport or other travel document.
- An application form (Form DS-1) stating the type of work you wish to do in Singapore.
- Again, note that you application will not be processed until the following have been submitted:
- A copy of your passport.
- An application form.
- You will also be required to provide your name, date of birth, address, and place of work.
- Once you receive your application, it is up to the immigration consultants to apply for a Singapore work permit in accordance with the procedures set out below.
- You must provide us with all relevant information about yourself including any travel documents that are required before applying for this work.
- The process to apply for a Singapore work permit can take up to 8 weeks, given that you have met all the immigration requirements. For more information, contact our professional immigration consultants for a free consultation at +65 6493 2970.
Important Factors to Note when Applying for a Singapore Work Permit
- The employer is obliged by law to pay employee wages on time, and at least once every two weeks. Failure to comply with this requirement may result in criminal prosecution under Section 3(1) of the Process to apply for a Singapore work permit.
- Note that you will have no right to engage in any form of labour activity other than that which has been authorised by the employer. In particular, you cannot perform any kind of work, including but not limited to, entering into employment relationships with Singaporean countries unless they are authorized under this Act.
- The employer shall ensure that there is adequate time between when an employee applies for his or her first job offer. The process to apply for a Singapore work permit may be delayed if the applicant has been employed with the same company or organization for over 2 years.
- A minimum stay period of 6 months, which can vary depending on the type of work. For example, it may take up to 2 years for someone who has worked for 5 years to obtain a permanent Singapore work permit.
- A maximum of 3 years of continuous work in Singapore. Please note that the duration of your stay will depend on whether you are working as a tourist or business visitor. You must have at least 2 years’ experience with English language skills before applying for this type of visa.
What are the Other Visa or Permit Options Available?
Are you looking to study in Singapore? Are you an international student looking to study and work in Singapore? Unfortunately, international students on a Singapore student visa are not permitted to be employed in Singapore. However, students transferring to entering one of Singapore’s universities can apply for a student visa to live and enjoy this clean and green city.
In addition, students enrolled in one of Singapore’s universities for three years can apply for a Singapore training work permit. This is an attractive point for international students looking to start their careers in Singapore. Aside from the wide choice of food, Singapore is well-known to be one of the best cities to do business in with many opportunities for university graduates.
University graduates in Singapore looking to apply for a training work permit will be at an advantage (compared to those who didn’t study in Singapore). Students have to submit their Application Form (ITF) which includes all required documents such as proof of education certificate, passport photo, employment contract etc. International students will be able to obtain a short-term work permit after their studies. This Singapore work permit will allow fresh graduates to stay in Singapore for up to 90 days to find employment.
Come in for a Free Consultation?
Looking to work in Singapore? Come in and speak to us about applying for an employment work visa. Call us at +65 6493 2970 or drop us a message for a free consultation and clear up any questions you have.