Singapore S Pass

How to apply For a Singapore S Pass

If you are a foreigner, or moving to Singapore with the intent to work here, you need to apply for a Singapore S pass. An S pass is essentially a work visa issued by the Singapore government. Without this, you won’t be allowed to work anywhere in Singapore. Work passes in Singapore comes in different forms. The type of work pass that you need to attain depends on the nature of work and qualifications. Generally, mid-skilled workers such as accountants, journalists and technicians need a Singapore S Pass.

Keeping in mind the above, note that all work pass applications have to go through Singapore’s Ministry of Manpower. The Ministry of Manpower is in charge of both the issuing and handling of work visas in Singapore, including the Singapore S pass. In this article, we are going to explain how to apply for a S Pass in Singapore. If you are looking to apply for the personalised employment pass Singapore visa, check out our other guides.


Qualification for the S Pass For Singapore?

All Singapore S Pass applicants need to meet the conditions listed below:

  1. You have to be a mid-skilled worker. You must have academic qualifications such as a degree or diploma. Certificates from Technical institutions are accepted. However, the course must have lasted for at least a year.
  2. You must have a job in Singapore. In addition, your employer will be the one to apply for the S Pass on your behalf.
  3. You a minimum fixed monthly salary of $2,300. Note that $2,300 is the minimum monthly salary for less experienced staff. Keep in mind that the S Pass work pass minimum salary requirements for a foreigner with more experience will be higher.
  4. You should possess relevant work experience in your respective field or industry.


How to apply and submit your S Pass in Singapore

Getting an S Pass in Singapore can be broken down into three parts. Most of the S Pass application process will either be handled by your employer. The Singapore employment agency will assist your employer in attaining your S Pass.

The foreign worker doesn’t have to apply for the S Pass on his own. This is carried out by the employer in Singapore. He will have to carry out the application. The employer must complete the application through EP Online. EP Online is an online application tool available on MOM’s website. You don’t have to travel down to Singapore in person when the S pass application is being carried out.

We have listed out the steps for the S Pass or employment work visa Singapore application below for applicants: 

  1. You will need to write a letter of consent to your employer in Singapore. In the letter, you must state that since you are under their employment, they are required to apply for the S Pass on your behalf.
  2. Your employer has to log in to EP Online and fill the S Pass Application Form.
  3. Documents for the S Pass should be included on the S Pass Application form.
  4. The employer makes the payment of S$75. This is the S Pass application fee.
  5. All approved applications get an IPA letter. 

This letter must be given to you by your employer. The letter does the following: 

  • The letter grants you entrance in the form of a single-access visa.
  • Acquaints you of the need of a health check upon arriving Singapore.
  • Lists out all the documents that needed when you and your employer do apply to get your S Pass Work Permit issued.

The application processing time for an S Pass in Singapore is about 3 weeks. On receiving the IPA letter, you have 60 days to enter Singapore.


Required documents for S Pass in Singapore

Upon submitting the application for your S Pass in Singapore, your employer would need to submit documents. This includes a copy of the completed S Pass Application Form, your letter of agreement, and photocopies of the passport(s) that bear your personal details page. In addition, photocopies of your diplomas and other related certifications need to be submitted. A photocopy of your marriage certificate will have to be provided for citing married people.

All recent business profile of the company and Letter of Support or  the registration form from a recruitment agency, professional body, or accreditation agency has to be cited. Be sure to contact these institutions for the documentation you need to provide if you fall under the list of professionals listed below. Here is the list:

  • Doctors: THe Singapore Medical Council.
  • Dentists: The Singapore Dental Council.
  • Occupational therapists, diagnostic radiographers, radiation therapists, speech therapists and physiotherapists: The Allied Health Professions Council.
  • Pharmacists: The Singapore Pharmacy Council.
  • TCM Practitioners: The Traditional Chinese Medicine Practitioners Board.
  • Lawyers: The Legal Services Regulatory Authority.
  • Football players or coaches: The Sport Singapore Association


How to get the S Pass issued In Singapore

You have to be physically in Singapore to collect your S pass work permit. For the issuance of an S Pass in Singapore, the employer will need to go through EP Online for S Pass issuance. Kindly note to your employer to prepare a fee of S$100.

Upon being issued the S Pass, a form of printed letter will be sent notifying you of the successful application. This letter then grants access to both enter and leave Singapore while waiting for your S Pass Card. This informs you of the need to get your photo and fingerprints registered when necessary.


Required documents when getting the S Pass issued in Singapore

The employer will still need to submit some certain documentations for the issuance of your S Pass in Singapore. Your employer has to provide the passport details. This is in addition to photocopies of the passport’s personal details page with all changes that have been done to it. 

Also, details of medical insurance of at least S$15,000 per annum and that covers both hospitalization and surgery has to be bought for you by your employer.

Such insurance has to be provided for all employees in the form of injury or compensation insurance involved with manual work. This is required, even for employees whose wages are lower than S$1,600 monthly. He has to provide details of your immigration or Short-Term Visit Permit. You need to provide an address of delivery of your S Pass Card by MOM, as well as the Disembarkation or Embarkation card. You will also need to provide the form confirming your health check as well. 


Registration of your photo and fingerprints

When applying for the S Pass in Singapore for the first time, you must register your photo and fingerprints. This applies if it has been at least 5 years since you last registered.

Registration must be done in a week of getting the S Pass issued at the MOM Services Centre. Registration requires an appointment. An appointment can be conveniently made through the MOM’s website. In this registration, you will need to provide your passport, an appointment letter from your employer, a letter of notification, and all documentation that’s in the letter of notification or IPA.

If everything goes smoothly, you should receive your S Pass about 4 days after registering and submitting your documents.


In summary

This guide has all the information you need to know about applying for a Singapore S Pass. One recommendation is to not delay your application. This is because Singapore has strict requirements regarding foreigners entering the country. The process can be tedious or confusing for first time applicants when applying for a Singapore S pass work permit. Therefore, you will need to employ the services of a professional work pass agency such as Ren Ai Group. 

At Ren Ai Group have many resources on our website for the application process for the Singapore Employment Pass and Singapore Work Permit which will be useful for both employers and candidates. If you need help with applying for the Singapore S Pass work permit, contact us today for a free consultation session.